I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, July 26, 2010

We call it "the call". Mine wasn't all that dramatic, but it was undeniable. It involved a college catalog, a bookshelf, and a wastebasket (some day maybe I can fill you in on the details). I didn't see God or hear His audible voice at that time, but the sense of "calling" set me on a path that continues to this day. The call may not have been as dramatic as that of another man I know, but then the task hasn't been as difficult as his either.

"In the year of King Uzziah's death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. Then I said, 'Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.' Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal in his hand, which he had taken from the altar with tongs. He touched my mouth with it and said, 'Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven.' Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?' Then I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" (Isaiah 6:1,4-8)

It's easy to envy Isaiah's dramatic encounter with God and call, but I wonder how many of us envy his challenging work? Essentially, God called him to what we might call, "a ministry of futility" - "He said, 'Go, and tell this people: 'Keep on listening, but do not perceive; Keep on looking, but do not understand.' 'Render the hearts of this people insensitive, Their ears dull, And their eyes dim, Otherwise they might see with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their hearts, And return and be healed.'" (Isaiah 6:9-10)

In essence, Isaiah was called to be the conscience of the people, but not an effective converter of souls. A stubborn refusal to hear and heed the message of God would be the response to Isaiah's call and ministry. There is a sobering parallel in our modern day to those who refuse to hear and understand Jesus' great message about the Kingdom of God (Matthew 13:10-17).

The God who called Isaiah calls us today as well. And, like Isaiah, He may not call us to impressive results and dramatic conversions, but He calls us to be faithful and clear with His message. As someone has said, our call is not to results, but to faithfulness. God is the God of the harvest, whereas we are the sowers of the seed.

My "call" was not as dramatic as Isaiah's, but the task has thus far been easier. God has graciously allowed me a ministry where results are evident. Through the power of His word in my hands and mouth, I see clear evidence of changed lives. I have joyfully baptized many who were repentant over the years. I can easily identify growth and progress in lives, due to responsiveness to His word. I'm blessed to see a certain measure of harvest among the work of sowing the seed.

God calls the responsive. As someone taking the time to read and apply these words, I believe that you are one of the responsive ones as well. May His word in your hands and mouth be used mightily today to advance the kingdom and impact those who are responsive around you.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home