I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, June 28, 2010

"What goes around comes around". According to this old saying, both good and bad eventually come back to us. And sooner or later, that's exactly right.

You are probably familiar with the legendary trials of Job. No one has ever endured greater loss and trials than this faithful man of God. In spite of counsel from his wife and others to "curse God and die", he refused to do so. But amidst his severe trials, he was not without fault. When he and God finally have a heart-to-heart talk, God reveals Job's error. And we see the true integrity of this man of God when he finally responds to God's questions and words to him:

“Then Job answered the LORD and said, I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' "Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know." 'Hear, now, and I will speak; I will ask You, and You instruct me.' "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees You; Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:1-6)

The probing questions of the Almighty led this man of God to a realization of the deficiencies in his true understanding of God. He knew generally, but this divine encounter caused him to know intimately. This humbling encounter caused him to declare that "I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know." Ultimately, Job responds as only a mortal can in the face of the Infinite, Immortal One: "Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes".

Job's encounter causes me to think of my own naive assumptions about the One I profess to know. Have I reversed the creation account and somehow made God in my own image? Have I placed my words in His mouth, so to speak (not intended to be a bad pun), to rationalize my actions and behavior? In what ways have I trivialized the One who is infinitely greater in all ways than me?

I consider that I've got a pretty good theology of God, but what I understand is only the launching point to more fully knowing Him. Like Job, I can say, "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees You". Know ABOUT and knowing are vastly different.

May all that we have heard and read about our matchless Creator be merely the beginning of the journey of personal discovery.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home