I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, November 09, 2009

Plan your work and work your plan. That's the conventional wisdom, but a verse in the Proverbs that has served as a life guide for me suggests something a bit different:

"Commit your works to Yahweh And your plans will be established." (Proverbs 16:3)

Work your works and let God establish the plans. Be an active doer of righteous deeds and God will tend to the details of establishing the plan and direction for them.

There is an interesting note in my Bible that indicates the word "roll" is an accurate substitute for the word "commit" in Proverbs 16:3 - "Roll your works to the LORD And your plans will be established." I doubt that the writer had this in mind, but I can't help but think of bowling - roll the ball down the alley toward the pins and its path will be established. At the least this serves as a good illustration; roll your good deeds in the direction of the Lord and He will establish the path to make certain they reach the target.

Looking back over thirty plus years of pastoral service I can see the truth of this promise in Proverbs 16:3. As a young man I had a lot of zeal but very little wisdom concerning direction. I have been and probably always will be extremely naive concerning the ways of the world and how to achieve "success". But I have an infinitely wise Father Who has guided me and allowed me security and privileges that allow freedom in serving Him. He has opened doors for service that I could never have planned or imagined. I've sought to serve Him and He very definitely has established my plans.

I've recently given more thought to the future and its uncertainties and potential pitfalls. Such thoughts can easily be stressful and disconcerting, but I return to the thought that we each are called to serve diligently today and let the ultimate Planner establish the plans. And He will!

This present moment is a sacred trust. We can squander it through idleness or we can make the most of the moment and redeem the time (Colossians 4:5). The great privilege of the moment for me is to share these words with you. If they have blessed, encouraged and directed you then the Lord has established His plans through this work that I gladly commit to Him.

May the sense of His direction encourage you in your diligent service to Him today.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home