I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Persistence pays off. Some of history's most notable people are people of persistence; people with a goal and objective in mind and resolute determination to not be deterred from that goal.

Persistence pays off in prayer. Jesus illustrates the point with a story about someone going to a friend at midnight to ask for food for unexpected late-night visitors:

"I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs. So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened" (Luke 11:8-10)

What are we passionate about to persistently seek in prayer? I often bring my prayer list to the Lord and rather passively name the needs and move on. I'm concerned for those whom I pray for, but not as passionate as someone seeking bread from a friend at midnight.

I often remember a man I regularly prayed with several years ago. He regularly prayed for missionaries and mission fields and lost people around the world and near home. I remember the time when he broke down into tears and mournful wailing. When he was able to regain composure he exclaimed, "Steve, you just don't know what it means to be lost!" Regrettably, he was right - and perhaps still is.

Are we passionate enough for the lost to persistently seek their salvation in prayer? Does the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus burn within such that our passion is to share it with the names and faces of those we know who are lost? Perhaps our persistence in prayer needs to be for personal passion for the message and for the lost.

The prophet Hosea issued the challenge to "break up your unplowed ground, for it is time to seek the Lord" (Hosea 10:12). Sometimes our hearts become as hard as compacted soil that is unsuitable for planting and growth. We need to have our hearts "plowed" and broken open to be receptive to the things of the Lord.

I'm often appalled at my apathy. I'm seeking brokenness in order for there to be passion for the message and for the lost. Rather than simply speaking the words, I desire passion and Spirit-groaning as I pray, "Your kingdom come. You will be done on earth, as it is in heaven".

"Father, give us passion for that which You are passionate about. Break open our hearts and instill passionate persistence in prayer for the kingdom message and the many who have never heard and yielded to it."

Steve

3 Comments:

  • At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello,

    This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at kingdomdreamer.blogspot.com.

    May I use part of the information from this post above if I give a backlink back to this site?

    Thanks,
    William

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger steve said…

    That will be fine, William.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey - I am definitely happy to discover this. great job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home