I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

There was the time when my car should have slid under the tractor-trailer on the icy road. There was also the time in college when a crucial car part broke in my parent's driveway after I had driven hundreds of miles. And our checkbook has never quite worked right - there has almost always been a higher balance than should be.

These are a few of my faith stories. As I recount them I'm reminded of how real God's guidance and presence has been in my life. And that's His exact design for His actions in our lives:

"They shall know that I am the LORD their God who brought them out of the land of Egypt, that I might dwell among them; I am the LORD their God." (Exodus 29:46)

The overarching purpose of the worship and tabernacle design was ultimately that the people of Israel might continually be reminded of God's miraculous work on their behalf. His desire was that they would intimately know Him in the very depths of their being, Knowing Him was an important prerequisite for Him to dwell with them.

Recounting the acts of God in our lives is essential to our knowledge of Him and His presence with us. As with the people of Israel, it is vitally important that we develop tangible reminders of what He has done.

I think more about legacy than I used to. As I age I increasingly consider what I will pass along to my children and grandchildren. I want them to know and embrace the truths that I passionately hold to from Scripture, but I also want them to know my faith stories - my personal experiences with my Creator and His Son, Jesus. These are the stories that bring life to His truth.

Legacy isn't just for the next generation. Recounting the acts of God in our lives is a powerful reminder and motivation for further developing an intimate walk. Thankfulness for what he has done is a wellspring for service and living.

More than anything else, our Father wants us to know that He is the only true God. Recalling our personal encounters with Him and letting Him speak to us from His word are vital to this all-important goal.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home