I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Good morning -

I think I could have limited success counterfeiting. I discovered the potential when I found pictures of U.S. paper currency on the Internet and then printed a very convincing copy of a one thousand dollar bill on the color laser printer that I have. If I had the right kind of paper, no ethics, and no fear of the law, I possibly could fund a "missionary trip" to Hawaii or a Caribbean island.

The problem with the counterfeit is that it appears close enough to the real thing to be deceptive. I could possibly print smaller-denomination bills and pass them off as the real thing to a less-than-discerning store clerk. If, however, I opted to make my counterfeit money from red construction paper with hand-written numbers and pictures, no one would be convinced. For the counterfeit to be effective it must be a convincing substitute for the real thing.

God reserves strong words for counterfeit prophets:

"Then the word of the LORD came to me saying, "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who prophesy, and say to those who prophesy from their own inspiration, 'Listen to the word of the LORD! 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Woe to the foolish prophets who are following their own spirit and have seen nothing ... Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, "Because you have spoken falsehood and seen a lie, therefore behold, I am against you," declares the Lord GOD." (Ezekiel 13:1-3,8)

I remember a movie from several years ago about a charlatan traveling evangelist. He became very unsettled while in the presence of a genuine young spiritual man. He commented that the only real threat to someone like himself was the presence of the the real thing.

The Apostle Paul was deeply concerned about the dangers of deception that the young church in Ephesus faced. He said,

"I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them." (Acts 20:29-30)

The threat of deception - without and within - was very real, but Paul's confidence was in the protection of truth:

"For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God." (Acts 20:27)

The surest way to avoid deception is to fall in love with truth. A life saturated with study and obedience to the word of God is a life safeguarded against deception. From this position of strength it is possible to discern those who truly have "a word from the Lord" from those who who "prophesy from their own inspiration"

May the joy and love of God's truth be your safeguard today.

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home