I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Friday, July 20, 2007

Good morning -

Truth can be bittersweet. Insight into God's plan and word is an incredible privilege, but with privilege comes responsibility. Understanding and insight involves response and action.

Ezekiel the prophet was privileged to have an encounter with the living God, but the encounter involved a difficult response:

"Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth and eat what I am giving you." Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and lo, a scroll was in it." (Ezekiel 2:8-9)

"Then He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth." (Ezekiel 3:1-3)

There is sweetness in receiving God's word but potential bitterness when we are called to take it to disobedient people in need of corrective action. Few people enjoy having sinful habits and behavior pointed out!

We're reminded of all that God's word is capable of in 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

A major role of God's word is to point out the error of our ways and prescribe corrective measures necessary for a life of complete obedience. We want the results but often don't enjoy the painful process of getting there. Unfortunately, we can't have the one without the other.

God's word is a sharp, two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12), cleanly dividing and separating the responsive from the resistant. The responsive are willing to undergo painful surgery in order to achieve spiritual health; the resistant reject the message and, in many cases, the messenger as well.

May we each be fully responsive to God's word today, regardless of whether it brings sweet instruction or unpleasant correction. Ultimately it brings the best that our Father has for each of us.

Seeking to submit to the Sword,

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home