I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Friday, July 13, 2007

Good morning -

"Gray areas" are troubling. The Bible is crystal-clear about things like murder and adultery, but what about occasionally drinking beer or a glass of wine? What about PG-13 and R-rated movies? There probably are as many opinions on such subjects as there are readers.

I wouldn't add "food offered to idols" to my list of gray areas, but this was a big deal in the days of the Apostle Paul. While it's not a pertinent issue today, the principles surrounding it have significant implications for our contemporary grey areas. In particular, Paul says,
"take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak." (1 Corinthians 8:9)

Grey areas become black and white issues when a weaker brother or sister is affected. My choice of movies or my position on social drinking may not bring me under God's judgment, but these things most certainly will if the exercise of conscience-free liberty causes someone else a spiritual problem. The greater good is the spiritual welfare of all members of the body of Christ.

Amidst these instructions Paul reminds us, "yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him." (1 Corinthians 8:6). Sharpening our focus and attention on the one true God and His Son, our Lord Jesus the Christ, is the best solution to the issue of gray areas. The closer we get to truth, the clearer such questionable issues become.

I'm concerned when a Christian's focus seems to be on minimal standards: When the focus is on gray areas that can be indulged in rather than growth in holiness, there is a serious problem. Zeal for our relationship with our Father and His Son, our Lord Jesus, put all areas in proper perspective.

I'll never pretend that I was an exemplary student in any school that I attended, but I excelled most in the classes for which I had an eager desire to learn the subject matter. That desire drove me to focus on how much I could learn rather than how little I could do and still pass the class. That mentality makes all the difference in our Christian lives as well.

We have tremendous freedom in the Lord. Ultimately, we are free to zealously love our Father and His Son, our Lord Jesus, and to work for the greatest good of the people of God. May you find real joy today in passionately pursuing each of these vital relationships.

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home