I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

October 29, 2019

It was a rendezvous with destiny, except that it felt like an ordinary day.  Jill and I had taken our dog, Ollie, for a ride and walk at a time other than we normally would. I ran a quick errand, and then drove back to where Jill and Ollie were walking. As I approached, I noticed a man talking to a man in a wheelchair. As I drove closer, I realized that one of the men was our former realtor and friend,  Blake, a Christian. He commented on the significance of the timing of my arrival. The man in the wheelchair had been perplexed about world events, and was seeing the need for faith in Christ. Blake invited me into their conversation, and asked me to explain further about making a commitment to Christ.

We discussed various Bible verses, I mentioned the need for water baptism at some point following a decision, we addressed questions, and eventually I suggested we have prayer. Before I led in prayer, the man simply stated, “Lord, if you would have me, I give you my life.”

Following prayer, we affirmed that the man had indeed made a commitment to Christ, and we encouraged him to begin the practice of personal Bible study and prayer time. We suggested an online Bible, and other resources. Since he was perplexed about the times we live in, I offered to give him a copy of my book, “Hope for Uncertain Times.” I mentioned our home Bible study group, and invited him to attend - which Blake heartily encouraged. We exchanged phone numbers and parted ways rejoicing. 


It is an unfinished story. Will this man be baptized? Will he attend our home group? Will I have further opportunities to help him grow in the faith? Much is yet to be determined. But, the timing of this encounter leaves me in awe. Was it “coincidence” that we ventured out at the time we did? That we went the specific direction we did? That we would encounter Blake after not seeing him for many months? That we would arrive at precisely the moment their conversation had turned to this man’s desire to make a decision? It seemed a bit like the series of events involving Philip and an Ethiopian government official, recorded in Acts 8:26-40. It also punctuated the truth that “Man’s steps are ordained by the LORD, How then can man understand his way?” Proverbs 20.24.

To literally be led, step by step, to be part of someone’s conversion experience, is the highest and most humbling privilege.


The moral of the story? You may be closer to a life-changing encounter today than you might imagine.  Live, walk, and work expectantly.
 
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home