I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

July 23, 2019

Sports talk was a key factor in winning my Dad to Christ. Two pastors, who were also sports enthusiasts, found common ground with my Dad, which eventually led to his conversion. 

“For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.”1 Corinthians 9.19-22

Paul’s passion for those without Christ and salvation is abundantly evident in these verses. The interests of others was his priority so as to find common ground to reach them with the gospel. Whatever it took, Paul was willing to do so that “I may by all means save some.”

It is easy for Christians and churches to have the mindset that non-christians should come to us on our terms. With church doors wide open they can come, sing songs, hear what is often called, “church-ese” language, and be exposed to the gospel through teaching and preaching. It all may be more confusing than evangelizing. How much better to adopt Paul’s approach and seek out the lost on their terms. 

Jesus declares that we are be the “salt of the earth”(Matthew 5.13) Salt does little good in a salt shaker; it’s designed to be shaken out to have contact with that which it would flavor and preserve. Paul’s approach in becoming “all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some,”is this “salt approach.” This does not involve compromising ethics and morals to do so, but seeking common interests in conversation for greater gospel goals. 

We are challenged to make the interests of others our interests so that we may gain opportunity for gospel sharing. May this be our priority and focus as we go about our daily activities.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home