I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

November 21, 2017

Sin boldly. Let me quickly clarify that this isn't my advice, but rather a perspective that some have concerning sin and God's grace.

"What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?" (Romans 6.1)

The reasoning is that God's grace is abundantly displayed amidst sin so, the more we sin, the more abundant grace and mercy. We're doing God a favor, so to speak, by sinning. Logical sounding perhaps, but it's seriously flawed logic. The response is this:

"May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?" (Romans 6.2)

God's grace through Christ covers our sins but, rather than seeking to display God's grace through the habit of sin, we must come to terms with the fact that we have died to sinful practice. Baptism (Romans 6.3-7) represents our death to self and sin, and our resurrected new life in Christ. We don't live to sin; we live to please Christ. His life is our life; His ways our ways. It's best summed up this way:

"Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus." (Romans 6.11)

If my old self is dead to sin, that means the practice of sin is no longer my practice. Sure, I'll slip up and sin, but my life can no longer be characterized by sinful habits. My only life is God through Christ.

So, what is the life of God through Christ prompting in you and I today? Few questions could be an important to ponder. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home