I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

September 13, 2016

Someone I encounter most mornings expressed to my wife that I'm not a very talkative person. Having never been much of a morning person, that's certainly accurate for my disposition at 5:30 in the morning. But, is that how I want to be described? What word or phrase would others use to describe you? 

"Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near." (Philippians 4.5) 

It would be a high compliment to be known as a "gentle spirit," because that's how we ought to be assessed from a biblical perspective. An awareness of the nearness and presence of the Lord Jesus ought to invoke this attitude. So, anything other than a gentle spirit arises when we lose sight of His presence. When tempers flare, and patience wanes, we've likely lost sight of His abiding presence. 

The popularity of the "WWJD" bracelets seems to have faded, but the continual reminder of What Would Jesus Do? is ever needed. We ought to bear increasing resemblance to the One who describes Himself as "gentle and humble in heart" (Matthew 11.30) 

I know there is a high probability that something today will try my patience, likely resulting in something other than a "gentle spirit." We've been working on this for years, but there is a long way to go. But, if I will discipline myself to be more aware of Christ's presence always, victory is more likely within reach.

May His inner presence guide each of us to that gentle spirit He most desires.


Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2016
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook & print devotional http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW
paperback print copy
https://www.createspace.com/4500045

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home