I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

January 5, 2016

I grew up with a large extended family. Holiday gatherings consisted of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins packed in to a moderately-sized home for a joyous celebration. Seating for meals was challenging, but there was always a kid's table with a place for each of us. There is a place at His table for us as well. 

"While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body.' And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.' ” (Matthew 26.26-29) 

I didn't deserve to be a member of the large extended family I belonged to; I was born into it. I don't deserve to belong to the family of God either, but I've been "born again" into it. Through grace and forgiveness, I belong; not through personal merit. 

It's an imperfect family, saved by grace. Even Judas the betrayer was at that new covenant Passover meal. Deplorable as his heart and actions were, a reconciling invitation remained.

The Lord's Supper communion is practiced in some form in nearly every church. It's not a rite of the elite, but rather a humbling observance by the forgiven guilty ones. It's a place of mercy rather than a showpiece of the perfect.

The Last Supper, as it is commonly called, is a hopeful observance: "
I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.” This humbling remembrance of grace is also a toast to the feast to come; the paradise of God on a renewed earth when King Jesus comes again to drink the cup of joy that was once His cup of sorrow and suffering.

May the day we drink it with Him come soon.


Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2016
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook & print devotional http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW
paperb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home