I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28, 2015

More of Him and less of me. “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3.30). This statement by John the baptist serves as an important priority for every follower of Christ. If He is to truly be Lord of our lives, then He must be preeminent. 

It’s been said that what most professing Christians really want is the good life with a little Jesus overlay. We want the best the world offers and Jesus as well. But, the problem this presents is that the world demands allegiance counter to Jesus’ demands. The things of this world that we buy exact a price in return. Sitting on the fence, so to speak then, becomes an impossibility.  “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” (Matthew 6.24)

It would all be so much simpler if a clear line was drawn, and we knew when we had crossed it. But, that’s the problem with the world’s demands; they are more eroding than outright hijacking. The parable of the seed and soil is especially descriptive: “the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.” (Matthew 13.22) The shift is so subtle that we likely won’t even be aware of it.

Now, I’m as prone to this danger as anyone. One doesn’t have to be rich to be subverted by wealth and the world. Even the poorest can be materialistic to their spiritual detriment. And, I am often concerned that my worldly gain is doing just that. So, what’s to be done? “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3.30). The trite saying, “What would Jesus do?”, is partially correct. Better yet, “What does Jesus want to do in and through me?” If He increases in my life, and I decrease, what will my life look like? What activities will I be involved with? What will I be doing with the world’s wealth that I have stewardship over? What will be my priorities?

“Jesus, I’m daring to risk making this assertion today: You must increase, and I must decrease. What you will do, and where You will take me, may well be beyond my comfort zone. But, as the saying goes, for You to be Lord at all, You must be Lord of all. And that’s my desire. Help me to decrease so that You can increase, and thus truly be Lord. And all this to the Father’s glory. Amen.”

Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2015
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook & print devotional -http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW
paperback print copy of book — https://www.createspace.com/4500045

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home