I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday musings

The need and priority of the moment. Too much energy is exerted worrying about the future, and contemplating the past. The great need is to live in the moment.

"Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. (Proverbs 30.7-9 NIV)

The writer of Proverbs had two pressing life priority requests of Yahweh God: keep him from deception, and provide what was needed in the moment. He wisely saw the danger of the extremes of poverty and wealth, and desired to avoid both. His appeal for daily provision is echoed in the model prayer, taught by Jesus to His disciples, to "give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6.11). Jesus further stated, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6.34) Yesterday cannot be changed, and tomorrow cannot yet be lived. The priorities and needs of the moment are our important focus.

I, for one, easily borrow tomorrow's troubles. The future often appears uncertain and threatening, and commands too much of my attention. Ironically, too much focus on the future can overshadow important decisions today that will affect it. Better to live wisely in the moment - trusting in the daily provision of the LORD - than to be anxious about tomorrow. 

What opportunity and need is before you this very moment? What is your Father impressing upon you as to action and decisions to be made? This moment is the time to be responsive, and obedient. And, this is the moment to trust in the LORD's provision. The very fact that we are here today is testimony to His provision yesterday. He has been faithful every single day of our lives, or we would not exist or have our needs met today. His track record is tremendous cause for confidence and faith in the moment!

Deception can derail our lives, as well as the extremes of poverty and wealth. We do well to pray in harmony with the writer of Proverbs, and seek the needs and priorities of the moment.

Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2013
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook devotional - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home