I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

today's devotional

The real test is how we handle correction. It's tough to be wrong, but it's tragic to be proven wrong and remain stubbornly uncorrected. 

"Reprove a wise man and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Proverbs 9:8-10)

If our priority is to always prove our viewpoint, reproof will be painful, if not impossible. Wise is the person, however, who remains moldable and teachable. When proven wrong, a wise person is correctible, not defensive. A wise person is ever open to knowing more, rather than presuming to already know all the answers. The wise, teachable person lives continuously in awe of his/her Creator, and seeks always to grow in understanding of Yahweh God.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't know what I don't know. It's not just that I'm lacking information and knowledge in key areas; there are entire realms of knowledge I'm only vaguely aware that exist. Somehow, I thought I'd be smarter than I am by this age! Similarly, I'm coming to terms what all that I do not know of my Father. From the perspective of the truth of His oneness, I'm realizing there are vast areas to be understood and applied. 

The most interesting elderly people I know are those who are committed to being lifelong learners. I sense that we truly become old when we are no longer teachable. Tragically, we become less useful to our Creator Father when we cannot be corrected and taught. It is the adventure of learning and being corrected along the way that brings real zest and purpose to life. 

A strong temptation, as we age, is to gather information to prove our suppositions and understandings. The challenging question is: am I reinforcing what I already know, or am I open to learning new truth that potentially reorients everything? The real adventure is to always be open to the "aha!-this-changes-everything" breakthroughs that God has designed for us. 

May it be true of us that we remain correctible and teachable, regardless of our age.

©Steve Taylor, 2013
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home