I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Today's devotional - June 11, 2013

It's a bit ironic: kids can't wait to grow up, and adults long to be young again. The fact is, life is seasonal, and the seasons pass much too quickly. Somehow, almost overnight, I've passed from my teen years to being a grandparent!

The Psalmist challenges us with a realistic perspective of the brevity of life:

"Lord, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; Surely every man at his best is a mere breath." (Psalm 39:4,5)

Sometimes we get so caught up in the details of daily living that we don't step back to look at the big picture. Whatever we are doing today is more fleeting and transitory than we might imagine. 

It seems unlikely that David the Psalmist had a morbid fascination with death and in knowing exactly how he would die, but rather with seeing the scope of his life against the backdrop of eternity. He wanted the wisdom that came with seeing his life from God's eternal perspective. I want that too.

It's been said that no one, on their deathbed, lamented that they hadn't spent enough time at the office or job site. When the full measure of one's life is apparent, regrets are over lack of time with children, spouse, parents, friends, and in meaningful spiritual pursuits. So, if we correctly understand the gist of the Psalmist's words, life is best lived backwards - the end of life determining today's priorities.

Many people have big plans and dreams for Christian service. And, we easily pacify our conscientious with the thought of what we WILL do, rather than what we actually ARE doing. Will I still be alive next week to serve in that capacity at church I've been putting off doing? Will there be a tomorrow to begin reading the Bible and praying like I've been wanting? Is there time later today to call that friend or family member who is struggling with a problem? Will it be too late this evening to share my faith with an unsaved coworker or neighbor?

"Surely every man at his best is a mere breath." It is uncomfortable to think of life on those terms, but until we do there will be less urgency and focus in our lives. Time - and our lives - are like money: they are limited, and must be invested wisely.

We all have this moment. Savor it, and invest it in the things that count for eternity.

©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home