I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Making your case for impeccable character before God seems anything but wise. Who doesn't have glaring flaws that our perfect Creator could point out? Nevertheless, David the Psalmist did just that:

"Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, And I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. Examine me, O LORD, and try me; Test my mind and my heart. For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth." (Psalm 26.1-3)

There is a strong urge to disagree with David's lofty words. And, we know that later in his life he was guilty of the horrific sins of adultery, covered up by murder and deceit. But, in these words, is he making a case for his sinlessness? He speaks of a walk of integrity, and trust, but stops short of claiming perfection. As one who would be labeled "a man after God's own heart" (Acts 13.22), the course of his life is set on His Creator and Father, imperfect as he was.

It is said of Abraham that "he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness." (Genesis 15.6) This man, as imperfect as David, also had his heart set on his Creator. Although his life - like David's - was characterized by many missteps, the endearing qualities of faith, trust, and undivided loyalty gained favor with Yahweh God.

The question that begs to be asked, in light of David's words, is, "Do I have a genuine passion for my Father?" In my weakness and imperfection, do I long for fellowship and connection as David did?

Perfection, aside of through Christ, is unachievable. But, it is a faith gift to those who diligently seek the Father. So, again, the question challenges us: Do I have a wholehearted passion for my Father? Does passionate pursuit guide me, rather than an obligatory list of do's and don'ts? 

May our hearts resonate with David's words in the twenty-sixth Psalm, and may the sacred romance be more greatly kindled in our lives today.

©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home