I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I'm wondering where the absurd idea ever came from that God's people live trouble-free lives. Perhaps we can blame on the "prosperity preachers", because we certainly can't base it on the biblical accounts of God's faithful people. Case in point: this Psalm of David -

"Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am pining away; Heal me, O LORD, for my bones are dismayed. And my soul is greatly dismayed ... I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears. My eye has wasted away with grief; It has become old because of all my adversaries." (Psalm 6.2-3, 6-7)

Now that's one troubled man! Today's advice would be for a quick trip to the counselor's couch. But, before we dispatch this troubled man for some much-needed help, we need to carefully consider the depths of his suffering. The threat of opposition has caused profound grief; on a level that most of us cannot begin to fathom. The intense pain draws us to yearn for relief for this godly man, and yet the crucible of suffering greatly contributed to the depth of his character. Trite as it sounds, hard times make us strong.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." (James 1.2-4)

A conscious choice to consider the joy of suffering is one of the most difficult choices we will ever make. Pain-free living appeals far more than character-building trials. But, the "good life" does little to fortify the foundation of our lives which will allow us to withstand the storms of adversity. 

Life is seasonal. Peace and plenty come, but the winds of change can quickly bring poverty and adversity. Only a person of godly character can confidently declare, "the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD has heard my supplication, The LORD receives my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and greatly dismayed; They shall turn back, they will suddenly be ashamed." (Psalm 6.8-9) 

Eyes of faith, focused on the coming kingdom and ultimate vindication, see the triumph that awaits those who persevere and overcome. Life's storms, which severely test us, never dim our view of the reality to come. 

Regardless of life's season today, may we each remain faithful and resolute as we journey toward and serve the coming kingdom of God and its King.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home