I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

This one is for young people. It's for all those who don't think they know enough yet, or haven't had enough life experience; those waiting until they are more mature to serve the LORD. 

"Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.' Then I said, 'Alas, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, Because I am a youth. But the LORD said to me, 'Do not say, 'I am a youth,' Because everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak.'" (Jeremiah 1.4-7)

Jeremiah may well have been a teenage prophet. Apparently concerned that his age was a detriment, he sought to beg off his divine appointment on the basis of inexperience. But, God's answer offered the utmost encouragement, and should for each of us as well - regardless of age: "everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak." 

As someone has well stated, God's call is not about ability, but availability. It is God who sends, and God who equips. When He impresses upon you His mission, age and inexperience are empty excuses, because His supply richly accompanies His call.

The apostle Paul stated it so very well: "Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4.12) Young people, don't dare let anyone dismiss you because of your youth! For those who might try, shame them with your godly example.

Some of God's greatest work has been done with and through young people. Jeremiah was a young prophet; Timothy was a young elder and evangelist; Jesus' mother, Mary, was likely a young teen mother. 

Whether young or old, God's call and promise to Jeremiah is applicable to us all: "everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak." Let's listen up, and stand ready to go, do, and speak as He directs. 

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home