I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Knowledge ... obedience ... respect ... gratitude. These are four key essentials for living.

"Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever." (Psalm 86:11-12)

We cannot act upon that which we do not know. Knowledge opens new vistas, and enlightens our pathways. A phrase that is God's watchword is, "observe to do" (i.e, Deuteronomy 5:32). Read His word in order to heed His direction.

Knowledge must never be an end in itself. Unless knowledge leads to action, it is not truly knowledge. Truth is designed to be lived and walked - "I was very glad to find some of your children walking in truth, just as we have received commandment to do from the Father." (2 John 4).

Knowledge and obedience ultimately are designed to lead to respect for the Father who has "granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3). As the Psalmist pleaded, "Unite my heart to fear Your name". Create an unwavering and undivided heart's desire within to respect our Father who has a name. Even as my earthly father has a name, I need to know my heavenly Father's name (YHWH) and reverently respect that holy name such that I am not guilty of taking it in vain (Exodus 20:7).

Knowledge of and obedience to God's word, and respect for God's holy name, ultimately lead to a life of gratitude. Wholehearted thanks springs forth from a life thus centered.

Psalm 86 wonderfully outlines for us four key essentials for living. These qualities are characteristic of citizens of the kingdom of God. As we allow God's Spirit to cultivate these essentials, we make great progress in being training to rule the world with God's Son, the Lord Jesus, when He returns.

May our growth and progress in these areas be evident today as we live faithfully.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home