I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, July 18, 2011

If I asked you, in five minutes, to tell me what you believe and why you believe it, could you do it? That's the question before each of us today, and every day.

"always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Peter 3:15)

I've heard of churches that regularly feature a segment in worship services called, "the witness stand", in which an individual in the congregation is asked to do just that. Not a bad idea.

The priority of first-hand truth cannot be overstated. In a moment of blunt introspection, we might discover that much too often the beliefs of others have become our unchallenged beliefs. If there is such a thing as second-hand truth we may have more of it than we can to admit.

Nothing is more revealing than having to defend your position on something. Expressing your position on a political, social, or biblical issue necessitates a thorough review of the basis and logic for that position. A flimsy and weak argument becomes apparent in such circumstances, and a personal embarrassment.

Several years ago I felt impressed to develop a series of messages on beliefs I was so firmly convicted of that I would be willing to die for. This was one of the most important exercises I have ever undertaken. I was forced to confront what i read on the pages of the Bible and assess the priority of these words and teachings. It became evident to me that key teachings were non-negotiables, and that they indeed affected how I lived.

Preachers enjoy the rare privilege of teaching and preaching their convictions. But, in over thirty years of experience, I've learned that expounded on life-changing truth is no guarantee that it will become first-hand truth in the lives of others. It is only when each individual personally accepts the challenge to discover and defend truth and why it matters to them that it becomes firsthand truth. And that's when and where the adventure of a lifetime truly begins.

May today be an important step in this life-changing discovery.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home