I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Picture yourself at the imposing security gate to a stately mansion. You push the intercom button and ask permission to enter. The voice you hear asks your name, and for your stated business, and qualifications for entering. Satisfied with your answers, the heavy security gate opens and free access is granted.

"Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood And has not sworn deceitfully." (Psalm 24:3-4)

"Access granted"; such welcome words. But, who really is worthy to be granted access to the "the hill of the Lord", and "His holy place"? Not me, for sure. My hands aren't all that clean, and my heart is far from pure. Perhaps I haven't lifted my "soul to falsehood", but I've shrunk back on promises more often than I care to count. No, looking back on my life I know there is plenty to merit the words, "access denied". But, here I am in the throne room of the Almighty, and I suspect someone let me in with their credentials.

"Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." (Hebrews 10:19-22)

It's just as I thought; I have no business being here, but Jesus waved His credentials at the security detail and granted me full access. It's as though He took His security clearance badge and pasted my picture over His, granting me the access that only He should have. And so here I am; in front of the Creator of all, with His undivided attention as I pour out my heart and mind before Him. Access granted, indeed.

I will never cease to be amazed at the privileges afforded me in the rarified air of God's dwelling place, and I pray that you do not either. There is plenty of dirt on our hands, and guile in our hearts, but our sordid lifestyle is not what earns us access. It's the perfect security clearance of our Savior, Jesus, that lets us in. And the more we live in gratitude of this amazing grace, the greater the desire to wash our hands more thoroughly, and focus our hearts more fully.

Access granted. May we freely use the access we've been granted to cultivate a relationship with the One we would dare never approach with our own credentials.

Steve

© 2011, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home