I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, September 27, 2010

Persistence pays off. I know a pastor who is not timid about asking local businesses for donations of food and supplies to utilize in their church ministry. I've personally never had such experiences because, quite frankly, I'm not that bold and forthright. I have not because I ask not.

"Suppose one of you has a friend, and goes to him at midnight and says to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him'; and from inside he answers and says, 'Do not bother me; the door has already been shut and my children and I are in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.' I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs. So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened." (Luke 11:5-10)

The challenge in asking is uncertainty about the willingness to give on the part of the person being approached. No one likes the embarrassment of rejection, so reluctance to ask is based upon this element of risk.

The point Jesus so powerfully drives home with this simple illustration is that there is no reluctance on the part of our Father to give to those who ask. The key action words - "ask ... seek ... knock" - are in the continuous tense in the original language. On other words, "keep asking, seeking, and knocking". Those who are persistent with their requests will be given that which they persistently seek.

There are plenty of Bible passages that qualify that which we should seek (i.e., John 14:13; 15:7; 1 John 5:14), but too often overemphasis on the condition causes us to be less than persistent in our seeking. A godly-minded, Spirit-directed disciple will be focused on good and noble requests within the will of God. Therefore, we should persistently seek these good things in prayer!

I've done door-to-door evangelism work in which I knocked lightly on a door and left a tract before anyone could answer the door. Sadly, I've too often done similarly in seeking from God in prayer. Although convinced of the validity of the request, and the desire to give on the part of the One approached, my lack of persistence has too many times resulted in failure to receive. And yet there have been many specific answers received when I have been persistent. He has always been faithful when I have been persistent.

What is the godly desire of your heart this day? Convinced of its validity, and the willingness of the Giver, is there any good reason not to persistently seek? Storm the gates of heaven with your requests and advance the cause of the kingdom through persistent prayer.

Steve

© 2010, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home