I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Good morning -

The ultimate madness is self-sufficiency. Those with abundant resources and abilities are especially prone, but there is a God who is well able to remind us of just how weak and helpless we really are. Exhibit A is King Nebuchadnezzar of long ago:

"The king reflected and said, 'Is this not Babylon the great, which I myself have built as a royal residence by the might of my power and for the glory of my majesty?' While the word was in the king's mouth, a voice came from heaven, saying, 'King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is declared: sovereignty has been removed from you, and you will be driven away from mankind, and your dwelling place will be with the beasts of the field You will be given grass to eat like cattle, and seven periods of time will pass over you until you recognize that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind and bestows it on whomever He wishes.' Immediately the word concerning Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled" (Daniel 4:30-33)

Whether we have the means to build a luxury castle or just a sand castle, we can believe too much in our own abilities. I enjoy woodworking but I sometimes struggle with the satisfaction I find in what I make. When I look at the finished product it is a struggle to balance an appreciation of God's ability through me with the belief that I made something with my own hands and abilities.

After Nebuchadnezzar's seven-year insanity over his self-sufficiency, he acknowledged the supremacy of Creator God:

"But at the end of that period, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever; For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, And His kingdom endures from generation to generation. All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And among the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His handOr say to Him, What have You done?' (Daniel 4:34-35)

It is extraordinary for a sovereign ruler to acknowledge One who is ultimately sovereign over him, but such was Nebuchadnezzar's confession. True insight led to the end of his insanity.

The advances and accomplishments that surround us mask the insanity of self-sufficiency that rules in the hearts and minds of so many people. It is a tremendous struggle to seek humility and acknowledge our dependency upon our Father when so many worship at the throne of self. Actively seeking the Lord's Kingdom priority daily ("Your kingdom come; Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven") still serves as the best antidote to self worship.

Seeking to overcome my insanity by focusing on His insight,

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home