I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Good morning -

I'll bet I'm less confident that you, and less capable. That probably sounds like a completely backward way of bragging. Boasting and bragging generally focus on areas of real or imagined strength, not weakness. No one at school will be impressed with the assertive child who boasts, "I'm not as smart as you!", or, "Feel my muscles; I'm lots weaker than you!". Bragging about weakness makes little sense except from a spiritual standpoint:

"Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults,with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

The Apostle Paul had plenty of bragging rights. He had some very impressive religious credentials as a Jewish leader, and probably had a whole wall full of awards and achievement certificates. He had a unique conversion experience with Jesus and dynamically experienced the power of God working signs and miracles through him. But the Lord provided Paul with something to counteract any tendency toward bragging; a "thorn in the flesh".

There has been plenty of speculation through the ages as to what Paul's thorn in the flesh was, but one thing is certain: it was something he didn't want and asked the Lord three times to remove it. The answer was always the same: "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness."

"power is perfected in weakness". Power is achieved through strength, not weakness, isn't it? The strong assert their strength as they push and shove and climb the ladder of success. The weak are the powerless.

The Lord's system is that of an "upside-down pyramid". Leading comes through serving. Greatness is found in emptiness. Power is manifested through weakness. As Jesus has said,

"whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all." (Mark 10:43-44)

Confidence and assertiveness have always been challenges for me. I admire confident, assertive people and often wish I had more of those qualities. But I'm reminded that my perceived weakness in these areas may be among my greatest strengths. If power is perfected in weakness then I must be a Samson!

Don't discount your weakness. The Lord's best work may very well be accomplished through it.

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home