I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

April 8, 2015

It may not be a popular message these days, but it is an important one. The apostle Paul returned to the churches he had helped found with this priority and message: “strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, ‘Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God’ ” (Acts 14:22).

A message about hardship hardly seems like encouragement, but it is the reality of the Christian walk. It is essential, if we are to “continue in the faith”, that we clearly understand the nature of the walk we are committed to. The “man of sorrows”, who is our guide and pattern, has established the precedent. The Father’s will was accomplished in His life through suffering and sacrifice, and we dare not expect anything different.

If we lose sight of the kingdom of God, the tribulations of our present experience will be magnified, and cause us to be discouraged. The kingdom is the prize we keep our eyes on as we endure the disappointment and trouble that so often characterizes this age. 

I have the greatest respect for the faithful saints I have known who bravely and resolutely faced life’s adversity. It’s as though they slowly, with determined steps, walked unswervingly through storms with gale force winds and lashing rain, only to come out of the other side of the storm still faithfully walking. These are the ones who offer rich encouragement by their example and lives.

When I need counsel, as I walk through the valley of adversity, I turn to someone who has already faithfully walked through that which I am in the midst of. Such individuals are like the “cloud of witnesses” (Hebrews 12.1): the faithful who have stayed the course and kept the faith. These are individuals who exemplify Paul’s words of continuing in the faith through tribulation, never losing sight of the kingdom.

Tribulation comes in many forms, and I am sure you have faced a variety of them. Fact is, you might be in the midst of some intense tribulation just now. Be encouraged in knowing that adversity is the common experience for the follower of Christ, and that the promise and hope of the kingdom is what puts it all in perspective, and will make it all worthwhile. That day just might be far closer than we imagine!

Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2015
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook & print devotional -http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW
paperback print copy of book — https://www.createspace.com/4500045

1 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Carol Connor said…

    This hit me so close this pass month .. I just got back fromCA. where I spent the last 6 weeks with my 34 year old daughter. She has been diagnosed with colon cancer. Then I had to come back to AZ and I was feeling so guilty for having to leave her. I ended up in the hospital . Thought I was having a heart attack, tests aren't back yet, but I really think it's stress. Got to remember to turn it all over to God.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home