I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

December 3, 2013

Age is no excuse. Some would say they are too old, and that the younger ones should serve. Youth, on the other hand, can easily say they are too young and inexperienced, and should wait until they are ready to serve. This passage is especially applicable to them:

"Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.' Then I said, 'Alas, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, Because I am a youth. But the LORD said to me, 'Do not say, 'I am a youth,' Because everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak.'" (Jeremiah 1.4-7)

God chooses, and age is not an excuse. Moses, when called of God at a much older age, offered up plenty of excuses. None were valid in the eyes of Him who called him. Jeremiah, a young man, offered similar excuses; also equally invalid. What God said to him, he says to all who might beg off in the face of His call: "everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak ... Behold, I have put My words in your mouth". 

God's call is not so much based on our ABILITY as our AVAILABILITY. Historically, He has called some unlikely people, and performed His work in unlikely ways. "God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong" (1 Corinthians 1.27) His call is always designed to uplift our Father's reputation, not ours. 

It is easy to put too much stock in our personal abilities, and how they might translate into effective service. The greater concern ought to be for that which He truly is calling us to. Ironically, His call might be to an area of service that is personally our area of greatest weakness. Remember, it's about His glory and reputation, not ours.

In moments of stillness in His presence, what is He impressing upon you? What is He calling you to? It may be something way out of your comfort zone, but remember; it isn't about you - it's about what He wants done, and where. 

Age really is no excuse. Nor is lack of experience. Or speaking ability. Or the myriad of other excuses we might offer. I know from personal experience. I've spent my adult life serving in an area of personal inability. But, it's worked out so much as I've relied in His resources instead of mine. The same is true for us all.

Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2013
Be sure to also visit http://thetruthrevolution.wordpress.com/  

Amazon ebook devotional - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1Q9GW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home