I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, November 15, 2012

We live in what is aptly called the age of anxiety. From natural disasters to economic uncertainty, there is plenty to induce anxiety. But, the fickle trends of the times ought not greatly disturb the people of God. 

"the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:26-27)

Stressed-out, anxious people did not learn such through God's Spirit, because God's instructive Spirit produces peace, not panic. The main mission of Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth (John 15:13), is to thoroughly instruct us and remind us of the teachings of Jesus. That knowledge liberates us from the anxiety and trouble characteristic of this age.

Perhaps no Scripture is more pertinent to our present time than John 14:26-27. While many people are greatly unsettled and concerned, the people of God have a great opportunity to witness through their abiding peace. While as much affected by current events, God's people potentially have a perspective that makes all the difference. People of faith find peace through never losing sight of "the end game".

I've known job loss and strained resources over the years. Like many people, I focused far too much on the current crisis than the instructive teaching of Holy Spirit. Stress and anxiety compounded and supplanted peace and serenity. Yet, during a particularly stressful and anxious time, Holy Spirit instructed me at a deeper personal level with the truth of John 14:26 - "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." This truth produced in indescribably peace during those dark days.

None of us are immune to trouble and anxiety, but the instructive work of Holy Spirit leads us progressively in the paths of peace. Submit to the Teacher today as you devote yourself to study of Scripture and experience the peace that passes all understanding. That peace can be a powerful witness to your stressed coworkers, neighbors, and family members.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home