I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, July 09, 2012

Need I remind you that we live in an incredibly noisy world? Amidst the din, countless voices and messages compete to be heard. So deafening is the noise, the worthwhile is easily lost amidst the worthless. If only we could turn down the volume and listen to that which truly matters!

"My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken." (Psalm 62.1-2)

I have some friends who regularly participate in a weekend of silence. No cellphones or modern electronic devices are allowed. In an outdoor retreat setting, time is devoted to reading and studying the word of God, and attuning themselves to His presence in the silence. Their testimony is that such experiences are truly life-changing.

My morning quiet times are generally anything but. Like the Psalmist, my goal is to wait in silence "for God only", but the rush of random thoughts easily distracts. I wonder how much time I truly need to deprogram enough to truly listen?

A couple of summers ago a group met on Wednesday nights to devote an hour to listening in the silence. At first, silence seemed awkward. Over a period of weeks, however, a sense of our Father' presence permeated the room as we prolonged our time of waiting. 

We are reminded in Psalm 46:10 to "Cease striving (be still) and know that I am God". In our noisy world, an hour or even an entire weekend are probably insufficient to truly become silent enough to hear. But, such times of silence are imperative; in them we are reminded, like the Psalmist, that "From Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken." Our focus and confidence are not what they could be without such silence.

The challenge before us this day is to devote a period of time to silence - to better know our Father, and His salvation. May we be refreshed and encouraged in the silence.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home