I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, February 13, 2012

It's comparable to rocket science, from my perspective. Composing original music seems like the ultimate impossible task. My painfully limited understanding of it leads me to believe that every possible arrangement of notes and chords has already been exhausted. Surely there are no more new songs to be written.

"Sing to the LORD a new song; Sing to the LORD, all the earth." (Psalm 96:1)

If composing new music is prerequisite I, for one, am excluded from worship. Unless the new song we are implored to sing is something other than an original musical composition. And, I suspect it is. The "newness" of our song likely has more to do with fresh insight, perspective, and experience than it does musical notes and chords. A fresh, new perspective of our Father's power and might, wisdom and knowledge, compassion and care, provide impetus for our "new song". The adventure of discovery in our daily walk with our Creator gives rise to a new song. And, what we share with others concerning what we have experienced firsthand further enhances the new song:

"Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day. Tell of His glory among the nations, His wonderful deeds among all the peoples." (Psalm 96:2-3)

Nothing more powerfully reinforces what we have learned and experienced than sharing those things with others.

Relationships quickly become dull and uninteresting when we learn nothing new. When was the last time you discovered something you didn't know about your spouse? Or your best friend? Or children or parents? We can be sure that there is that which we don't know about those closest to us, but complacency and routine keep us from discovering those things.

What about God your Father? And, Jesus your Savior? When was the last time you discovered something new about them? Has Scripture recently broken through with some new insight? Are you eagerly seeking to learn something new?

I'll confess: I'm easily complacent. I have some basic understanding of God my Father. I'm becoming aware, even as I write these words, that my assumption that I know what I need to know is nothing short of utter arrogance. If my limited understanding of the Unlimited One satisfies me, what do I truly know about Him in the first place? I've made God in my own image, and that is a far cry from the reality of who He truly is.

The challenge before us this day is to learn something new of our infinite Father that gives rise to a new song of praise in our hearts and testimony. May the discovery truly be life-changing.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home