I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Where is God in the silence? Many have been perplexed at the silence of God amidst their deepest valley, wondering why He is most silent when His voice is needed most. Among those pondering this puzzling mystery was the writer of the Psalms:

"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer." (Psalm 4:1)

"His thoughts are more urgently expressed in these words, echoed by Jesus on the cross: My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:1) David, this pillar of faith, and "a man after God's own heart" (Acts 13:22), greatly struggled with the silence of God, as many of us today do. But, God's people are never alone in the silence:

"But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him. Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And trust in the LORD." (Psalm 4:3-5)

While there are times when God is silent, there is never a time when He is absent. As David says, He has set apart the godly individual for Himself, and is attentive. This thought should inspire awe, and a God-pleasing lifestyle. This truth is cause for silent meditation, and trust.

I'm not proud of the times that I have shaken an angry fist at the God Who was silent when I thought I needed a word of comfort and reassurance. I now see how presumptuous and arrogant such actions and attitudes were. What I now see much more clearly is that God could trust me with the silence as I cultivated greater faith and patience.

Where is God in the silence? Much nearer than you know, and far more attentive than you realize. He has set apart His godly people for special relationship and purpose. These are thoughts worth a lifetime of meditation.

The God whose name is Yahweh is working out His great plans through those who belong to His Son. As we pray, "Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven", we remind ourselves of what He has set us apart for. We are set apart for training and preparation to rule the world together with His Son at His return (Revelation 20:6). How could He not be attentive to those with such a special purpose and destiny?

Steve

© 2011, Steve Taylor

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Preacher Dennis said…

    Steve,
    Thanks so much for you post. I truly rang a bell in my heart. God bless you in your work. Keep it up. "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister." Heb 6:10 (KJV)This speaks to the "saints" as well as everyone else.
    Dennis

     

Post a Comment

<< Home