I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, December 21, 2009

How truthful should we be with one another? Speaking to others about annoying habits or mannerisms is one thing, but what about areas of disobedience and sin? Dare we be that honest?

"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." (Matthew 18:15-17)

Jesus calls us to care enough to confront, but few things are more difficult - or risky. It's much easier to look the other way or bury our heads in the sand. Why risk a good friendship or disrupt Christian fellowship? After all, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

If a series of medical tests reveal life-threatening cancer, would you want your doctor to withhold that vital information because of the fear of upsetting you? Of course not! Effective treatment is dependant upon knowing and acting on this crucial information. Nothing would be more heartless than failure to face these facts.

Issues of sin and disobedience are at least as serious. Unchecked, these are potentially terminal spiritual issues; a spiritual form of cancer. We potentially contribute to a brother or sister's spiritual demise by ignoring such issues.

I'll be the first to admit my reluctance to confront. The risks are substantial, but I do not recall a single negative experience the few times I have confronted. A spiritually-minded brother or sister will be open to loving confrontation, regardless of how painful it might be. The desire to be undeterred on the path to the kingdom of God outweighs the momentary pleasure of sinful indulgence today.

"Lord, give me the compassion and boldness to confront those closest to me when they have become entangled in sin. And surround me with loving friends who care enough to confront me when I need to be redirected because of sin. Help me to always be teachable when confronted. I will yield to the direction and correction of loving and mature brothers and sisters in Christ."

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home