I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Good morning -

The moment is forever captured in a stunning photo. We stood atop a mountain in a tropical paradise, overlooking a sparkling emerald-blue bay and the vast expanse of the ocean, dotted with small, lush green islands. A bank of dark rain clouds advanced against the bright blue sky and dramatically darkened a portion of the island below.

Growing up in the rural Midwest, I would never have imagined that one day I would stand atop a mountain on the island of Saint Thomas in the Virgin Islands to drink in this breathtaking scene. But that's a very small portion of the high places that you and I have been taken to:

"The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds' feet, And makes me walk on my high places." (Habakkuk 3:19)

The lyrics to a popular contemporary song state: "You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains; You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas; I am strong, when I am on your shoulders; You raise me up... To more than I can be." Such was the prophet Habakkuk's perspective - The Lord was his strength and had elevated him to walk in high places. This was his resolute faith amidst the uncertainty of the present age:

"Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls, Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation." (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

Prosperity has the tendency to insulate us from dependence on the Lord. We too easily find strength and comfort in that which is temporary and unreliable. The true test is when those things give way or are taken away. If we have rejoiced and found strength in the Lord in prosperity we most certainly will amidst adversity.

The ultimate "high place" we are destined to walk is the Kingdom of God. Even now we've been elevated to positions of authority and leadership as we live today as the government in waiting and training. Today's opportunities and challenges are the "proving ground" of our kingdom character and ability. Our management and stewardship of life today is the basis for that which we will be entrusted with in the coming kingdom.

As breathtaking as that unforgettable scene was on a Caribbean island, it's miniscule compared to the high places you and I will walk in the coming kingdom. We can begin the experience today as we walk the high places of the kingdom of God.

May the view of the kingdom high places today be stunning,

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home