I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Good morning -

If we had heard the story first-hand I'm sure we would have said (pardon the pun), "that's a whale of a tale!" Jonah's story is unprecedented but apparently true. Jesus referred to Jonah's time in the belly of the fish as a sign of his death, burial and resurrection (Matthew 16:4; 12:40).

What are we to make of the story of someone who is called of God to preach a specific message to a specific people (Jonah 1:2); who chooses to flee "from the presence of the Lord" (Jonah 1:3); is almost overwhelmed by a storm at sea directly caused by God; and who ultimately brushes up on his prayer life during three days and nights in the belly of a great fish? Jonah had to be the most reluctant preacher ever to live and it seems as though he had no choice but to do as God said.

Regardless of what we might conclude about God's call and will, and our choice in the matter, the conclusions that Jonah reached in the depths of the sea are truly instructional:

"You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God. While I was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, And my prayer came to You, Into Your holy temple. Those who regard vain idols Forsake their faithfulness, But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving. That which I have vowed I will pay. Salvation is from the LORD." (Jonah 2:6-9)

In Jonah's most desperate hour he truly remembered the Lord. From the depths of the sea his heartfelt prayer ascended to the holy temple of God. He came before the Lord with the voice of thanksgiving and an attitude of willingness to do what he had promised (sounds like he had made a bargain with God even before God called him to preach). Ultimately he recognized the Lord as the source of true salvation.

Jonah's story reminds me of a movie that was popular several years ago. A despondent man begins walking out into the ocean, bent on suicide by drowning. A long way from shore he has a change of heart and wants to live and promises God that he will give him a certain number of years of his life in service if God will just make him a better swimmer. The better he swims and the closer to shore he gets, the less the number of years he promises to serve God. When he finally reaches shore his "bargain" with God is diminished to a mere "thank-you".

God desires wholehearted, undivided loyalty. As someone has said, it's not our ability but availability that He wants. He will do His greatest work through us when we take the simple step of just showing up before Him, empty-handed.

I've lately realized that I've been more consumed with God's business than with my all-important appointment with God. In my mind I know that being available before Him is most important, but my activities indicate that I believe otherwise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got an important appointment to keep.

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home