I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Friday, September 28, 2007

Good morning -

It's an uncomfortable reality: prosperity is the enemy of spirituality. Blessings from our Creator potentially get in the way of our relationship with our Creator.

"I have been the LORD your God Since the land of Egypt; And you were not to know any god except Me, For there is no savior besides Me. I cared for you in the wilderness, In the land of drought. As they had their pasture, they became satisfied, And being satisfied, their heart became proud; Therefore they forgot Me." (Hosea 13:4-6)

To forget those who have helped us in the past is the ultimate act of ingratitude, and yet the Jewish nation had done exactly that. The One who brought them out of slavery in their darkest hour was the only One worthy of their unswerving devotion and love. And yet the seeds of evil sprang up out of the soil of blessing and satisfaction: "And being satisfied, their heart became proud; Therefore they forgot Me."

Satisfaction ... pride ... ingratitude. Amidst all the luxuries and modern marvels that pervade our lives is the inherent danger of pride; a sense that we have earned and deserve what we have. As we are puffed up with pride, we turn from the ultimate Giver of all good things.

I've seen some pretty lean times in life; mostly as a young pastor with a growing family. And yet I remember those times as being very rich spiritually. Those were times when I most had to walk by faith, and I was most keenly aware of my need for the Lord and His provision. I listened more closely for His voice; I waited for His presence.

As life has gone on, I've found myself more surrounded by material possessions and responsibilities. I'm more aware than ever that those things which we possess quickly possess us. Not only is a price paid but a price is demanded - maintenance and care and, potentially, our heart.

Sometimes I feel like a little child in front of a huge pile of toys - I see the wonderful gifts but, more than wanting to play with them, I just want to be with the One who freely gave all of them to me. I'm aware of my tendency to forget the Giver, but yet I yearn for the Giver more than the gift.

Again and again I return to the Lord's priority to "seek first the kingdom of God". The gifts given to us can be blessings to others when the Giver's priority and agenda is clearly in sight. Among the gifts given to share are not only possessions, but also rare truth and insights. These are gifts to be shared, not hoarded. If the gifts get in the way of the Giver's agenda, then the only alternative is that which Jesus our Lord proposed to the Rich Young Ruler.

Longing for the Giver more than the gift,

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home